Sunday, March 26, 2023

Review: TELL ME I’M WORTHLESS by Alison Rumfitt

Immediately I was lost in this book. I lost notice of the passage of time, of what passed around me. Did I like it? I don't know. Did I enjoy it? Was I entertained? No, but I was compelled to read, racing through the pages, striving to understand, to relate, to empathize . Despite the politicalization, the extreme horror, the splatterpunk, the not-really-familiar setting of post-Brexit Britain and the anti-immigration sentiment prevalent among certain segments of British sociology, I could not stop. I doubt I will soon stop pondering either. My only complaint was that, as with a popular novel I read a few days ago, I found TELL ME I'M WORTHLESS just a little too long (specifically the alternative probability of Hannah and Jacob, near the end . I did find the conclusion satisfying and an effective summation of the character arcs. I guess I want to call it gratifying, in the context of the novel. Definitely my horizons have been expanded.

Now as to the House: I've read reviews [after I first read this novel] that thought the House [yes, it's purposely capitalized] was insufficiently done: insufficiently Haunted, perhaps, or not treated intensely or extensively enough. I think that, like the novel itself, there are a polarity of opinions. For myself, I really "liked" the author's treatment of the House [oh did I, though "like" should probably be substituted for by "appreciate "]. Looking back on the novel and my reactions to it, I think now the House was probably "just right."

#TransRightsReadathon March 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment